Click to access the LWC Homepage!
print e-mail
Adviser and Selection of a Major

Advisor Guidance

Incoming freshmen (0-23 hours of college credit) will be contacted by a First-Year Experience Advisor in the Academic Success Center, a Project Success advisor, or a faculty advisor to discuss their initial advising needs. 

New students are tested for proficiency in reading, writing, and mathematics.  After a review of test scores and other background data (ACT, SAT, or Compass scores and high school records), they may be advised or required to register in prerequisite or developmental courses.  (See Placement in Developmental & Skill-Building Courses.) 

The Academic Affairs Office assigns a faculty or staff member as an academic advisor to those students who have earned 24 or more hours of college credit.  When students select a major, they ordinarily are assigned to an advisor in that field.  Academic advisors assist students in developing and achieving their academic goals and career goals and in developing a course of study consistent with their goals and values.  While every student is responsible for planning and managing his or her own academic program, the academic advisor guides the student in making important decisions about his or her academic plans.  Students are required to consult with their academic advisors before registering for courses each semester, and students and advisors regularly discuss academic opportunities and problems.  Students registering electronically obtain their PIN (personal identification number) from their advisor after appropriate consultation.  Students registering in traditional paper mode must have their advisors sign their Registration form.


Catalog Requirements

To graduate from Lindsey Wilson College, students must meet all general education and major requirements specified in the catalog in effect when they entered the College or all requirements specified by a catalog published in a subsequent year.  Students who obtain a leave of absence for up to two semesters may complete their major requirements with the catalog in place when they declared their major.  Students who do not receive a leave of absence and do not attend Lindsey Wilson College full-time for more than two semesters must meet the general education and major requirements in place at the time they re-enroll.


Declaration of Major

All students seeking to obtain an associate's or bachelor's degree must file a Declaration of Major form in an approved degree program.  Students seeking an associate's degree should declare their major the semester in which they enter Lindsey Wilson College.  Students seeking a bachelor's degree are required to declare their major no later than the first semester of their junior year.  A Declaration of Major form can be obtained in the Registrar's Office and online at /offices-and-services/registrar/student-forms.aspx.

Students must do the following:

  • The student should meet with a faculty member in the major program and make an application to be accepted into the program.  Some programs (e.g., Education and Nursing) have specific requirements with which the student must comply.  A student cannot declare the major until he or she has been accepted into the program.
  • Upon acceptance into the program, the student may need to change his or her academic advisor to a faculty member in the chosen program.  If so, the student should meet with his or her current advisor to complete the Change of Advisor form.
  • Upon acceptance into the program, the student should submit the completed Declaration of Major form to the Registrar's Office.
  • Upon acceptance into the program, the student should request a degree audit (a record of all coursework taken and how it is counted against degree requirements) from the Registrar's Office.  A copy will then be given to the student.  It is recommended that the student discuss the audit with his or her advisor.


Change of Major or Academic Advisor

Students who wish to change their major or academic advisor must meet with their current advisor and complete a Change of Major/Advisor form.  The form is available from all academic advisors or online at /offices-and-services/registrar/student-forms.aspx.  Completed forms that include advisor changes are submitted to the Academic Affairs Office.  Once the change(s) have been made, the applicable advisor and the student are informed, and the form is then forwarded to the Registrar's Office for the major change.  Completed forms for major changes only are submitted directly to the Registrar's Office.



Feedback and CommentsSite MapDirections  
Every Student, Every Day
2008 Lindsey Wilson College
210 Lindsey Wilson St. Columbia, Ky 42728
Local: (270) 384-2126
Fax: (270) 384-8200
Toll Free: (800) 264-0138