Click to access the LWC Homepage!
print e-mail
Academic Credit

Advanced Placement and Credit by Examination

Students who have completed College Board Advance Placement courses (AP) and earn scores of 3 or higher, will receive credit in the appropriate discipline. Because the AP proficiency examination follows the completion of a college-level course taken while the student is in high school, details may be obtained from the high school counselor. The AP score should be sent to the Admissions Office at the time of application or as soon as possible thereafter.

Placement in English composition is determined through the students score on the English section of the ACT (American College Test) or through a writing sample administered to new students. An ACT English sub-score of 25 or above waives the ENGL 1013 requirement, allowing the student an additional three hours of elective credit.

Placement in mathematics courses is determined through the student's score on the mathematics section of the ACT. An ACT mathematics sub-score of 26 or above waives the mathematics general education requirement allowing the student an additional three hours of elective credit.

A maximum of 16 credit hours may be awarded on the basis of College Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations for associate degree programs, and a maximum of 32 hours of CLEP credit may be applied to baccalaureate degree programs. Lindsey Wilson is an open CLEP testing center, which means CLEP tests may be taken on campus and results may be submitted to other institutions as well. A score of 500 or 50, depending on how the scores are reported, is required for passing, with the exception of the general examination for English composition, for which the minimum score is 610.

Course Audit

Special arrangements may be made at the time of registration to audit courses without receiving credit. An auditor is defined as a student who attends a course regularly without being required to take part in recitation, written work, or final examination.

Repeating a Course

Courses in which the student has a final grade of D or F may be repeated for credit. The grade earned the last time the course is repeated becomes the official grade for the course.

Transfer Credit Approval

To assure credit for a course(s) accepted in general education or as a general elective taken at another institution, prior approval from the Registrar must be obtained. For a course(s) in a students major, written approval must be obtained from the Division Chair and the Registrar. Upon completion of the course(s), an official transcript must be submitted to the Registrar. Transfer credit is accepted only from regionally accredited two and four-year colleges.

Block Transfer Credit

Lindsey Wilson recognizes completion of its general education requirement for those students transferring from KCTCS (Kentucky Community & Technical College System) institutions who have completed requirements for General Education Full Certification* provided grades of C or higher have been earned in all relevant mathematics and English composition courses. If mathematics or English composition courses have been taken and grades below C have been earned, those courses (or equivalent courses) must be repeated until a grade of at least C is earned.

Note: Students who enter under this policy will be required to complete three semester hours in religion.

* General Education Full Certification from KCTCS institutions requires 60 semester hours of course work in writing, communication, humanities, social interaction, science and mathematics.

Credit for Military Training

Upon presentation of an authenticated DD 214 Form, Lindsey Wilson will examine, validate, and may award credit for military training according to American Council on Education (ACE) guidelines. Such credit will not exceed 32 credits or 25% of the credit hours applied toward a degree and will be applied to general education, elective, or major requirements, according to College policy.

Experiential Learning

Lindsey Wilson does not award academic credit (either graduate or undergraduate) for experiential/portfolio-based learning and does not accept student petitions for experiential learning credit. Credit previously granted by another institution of higher education for experiential learning will not be taken in transfer by Lindsey Wilson.


Required in some majors and elective in others, internships give students the opportunity to apply the skills and understandings learned in their majors in a professional setting. Internships are approved by academic programs and developed and supervised by faculty members. Credit for internships must be pre-approved.

Dual Credit Courses

A dual credit course is one which high school seniors, nominated by their high school, may take classes at or through Lindsey Wilson. Any earned credits will count for College credit and may also count for high school credit, depending upon the high schools guidelines. In order for Lindsey Wilson to assume full responsibility for the academic quality of the dual credit courses it offers, the following conditions must be met:

  • The course is one which has been approved by Lindsey Wilson faculty in the normal manner for all recognized course offerings at the College;
  • The course is instructed by a person who meets normally applied College standards with regard to credentials, experience, etc.;
  • The number of credits is appropriate to the normally applied standards of the College for the amount of contact hours and other work expectations;
  • In those cases where the course is taught at the high school rather than in a College facility and where that facility must support laboratories or other special needs, the College will examine the facility and determine if it is adequate for the course in question prior to the semester in which the course is offered;
  • If the instructor is not a member of the College faculty, that person will meet all criteria normally applied for appointment at the rank of instructor. The syllabus for the course and all quizzes, tests, and other graded material will be reviewed and approved by the relevant Chair of the academic division sponsoring the course prior to the semester in which the course is offered. The instructor will be required to follow College guidelines as stated in the adjunct section of the Faculty Handbook.
  • Students enrolled in a dual credit course will have all rights of access to academic materials normally afforded students at the College;
  • Students enrolled in such a course will have all rights of appeal normally afforded Lindsey Wilson students in the event of any differences with regard to grades or other academic matters.

Financial assistance will not be extended to students enrolled in dual credit courses. Applicable fees will be applied by the Business Office and must be paid prior to the beginning of the course in question. See Tuition and Fees for dual credit tuition charges.

Academic Bankruptcy Policy

A student may request in writing to the Registrar to declare academic bankruptcy under the following conditions:

  1. If fewer than three calendar years has elapsed since the semester for which the student seeks to declare academic bankruptcy, the student may declare bankruptcy for all coursework taken during that semester provided that the student has successfully completed at least 18 credits at the College since the semester for which bankruptcy declaration is sought. None of the course work, including course work that was successfully completed during the semester for which bankruptcy applies, will be counted in the student's cumulative GPA or hours earned.
  2. If more than three calendar years has elapsed since the semester(s) for which the student seeks to declare academic bankruptcy, the student may declare bankruptcy for 1 to 3 semesters provided that the student has successfully completed at least 18 CR at the college since the most recent semester for which the student seeks to declare bankruptcy. None of the course work, including course work that was successfully completed during the semester for which bankruptcy applies,will be counted in the student's cumulative GPA.

When academic bankruptcy is declared, the term Academic Bankruptcy will be reflected on the transcript for each semester affected. The phrase "Academic Bankruptcy Implemented" will be stamped on the transcript for the semester in which bankruptcy is implemented. Students may declare academic bankruptcy only once. Students should be aware that academic bankruptcy may not be recognized by graduate or professional schools.

Petitions for Exceptions to Academic Credit Policies

Petitions requesting exceptions to academic policies are written to the Academic Affairs Council. Petitions must be submitted by November 1 for consideration during the fall semester by April 1 for consideration during the spring semester.

Feedback and CommentsSite MapDirections  
Every Student, Every Day
2008 Lindsey Wilson College
210 Lindsey Wilson St. Columbia, Ky 42728
Local: (270) 384-2126
Fax: (270) 384-8200
Toll Free: (800) 264-0138