A Brief History
Lindsey Wilson College was founded in 1903 as Lindsey Wilson
Training School by the Louisville Conference of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, South. The school was named in memory of Lindsey
Wilson, the deceased nephew and stepson of Mrs. Catherine Wilson of
Louisville, Kentucky. (Today, Lindsey Wilson continues its
affiliation with the Kentucky Annual Conference of The United
Mrs. Wilson contributed $6,000 toward the construction of one of
the school's first buildings, which now serves as the L. R.
McDonald Administration Building. Funding also came
from the citizens of Columbia and Mrs. James Phillips
of Lebanon, Kentucky, for whom Phillips Hall, the women's residence
hall, is named. Mrs. Kizzie Russell of Columbia also made
In its early years, Lindsey Wilson educated grades one through 12.
Concentration was on "normal work" to prepare students to be
teachers; many continued their education at Vanderbilt
In 1923, the school's curriculum was reorganized and a college
department offering a junior college degree was added. In 1934,
Lindsey Wilson closed its academy and the school became exclusively
a junior college. The College, however, maintained a Model Training
School from 1933 through 1979.
In 1951, the College was accredited by the Southern Association of
Colleges and Schools, and in 1985, the College's trustees voted to
become a four-year liberal arts college. Lindsey Wilson graduated
its first baccalaureate class in May 1988.
The College added a master's degree in Counseling and Human
Development in April 1993. The program is accredited by the Council
for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational (CACREP),
and it has been cited by CACREP as a model small-college graduate
While historically the College's focus has been to serve the
citizens of South Central Kentucky, Lindsey Wilson has a diverse
campus of more than 1,900 students representing more than 90 of
Kentucky's 120 counties, 26 states and 34 foreign countries. The
College also has community campuses in the Kentucky cities of
Ashland, Cumberland, Hazard, London, Maysville, Prestonsburg,
Scottsville and Somerset. The College's 2008-2009 school year
enrollment included 1,674 undergraduate students and 329
An aggressive development program initiated in 1978 has yielded a
remarkable increase in gift income and more than doubled the number
of donors to the College. This support has enabled the College to
repair and refurbish buildings, improve campus grounds, strengthen
academic programs, and dramatically expand the number of its
The College completed the $53 million "Changing Lives Campaign" on
June 30, 2010. The campaign supported the building of: a health and
wellness center; a new residence hall; the renovation of the
Goodhue Building into a multi-use classroom building; the
development of 20 acres of land along the Louie B. Nunn Parkway;
added $15 million to the Lindsey Wilson Endowment; and raised $3.5
million for the Lindsey Wilson Fund. The "Changing Lives Campaign"
was initiated in April 2004 by an $8.6 million commitment by James
R. and Helen Lee Fugitte of Elizabethtown, Ky., the largest
commitment in the college's history.
Graduate programs offered include a Master of Arts program in
Christian Leadership; a Master of Education degree in Counseling
and Human Development with a specialization offered in Mental
Health Counseling and a Master of Education for Rank II Change.
Bachelor of Arts programs are available in the following areas:
American Studies, Applied Learning, Art, Art Education P-12,
Biology, Business Administration, Christian Ministries,
Communication, Criminal Justice, Elementary Education P-5, English,
Fine Arts Administration, History, Human Services and Counseling,
Mathematics, Middle Grades Education 5-9, Physical Education P-12,
Physical Education and Health P-12, Psychology, Recreation, Tourism
and Sport Management, Secondary Education 8-12, and Social Science.
A Contract, or individualized, major is also available but must be
approved by the Academic Affairs Council.
Bachelor of Science programs are available in the following
areas: Nursing and Psychophysiology.
Pre-nursing courses are offered to first year students and
professional nursing courses are offered for those students
accepted into the Nursing program. A Psychophysiology degree, an
interdisciplinary program incorporating study in psychology,
biology and chemistry will be offered in fall 2010.
Minor areas of concentration are offered in: Accounting, Art,
Biology, Business Administration, Chemistry, Christian Ministries,
Coaching, Communication, Criminal Justice, Event Management,
History, Humanities, Journalism, Literature, Mathematics, Music,
Physical Education, Political Science, Psychology, Spanish,
Women's Studies, and Writing.
Associate in Arts programs are available in: Art, Business
Management, Computer Information Systems, Criminal Justice, Early
Childhood Care and Development, Engineering Mechanics, Health
Science, History, Mathematics, Religion and Social Science. Work
toward the Baccalaureate and Associate of Arts degrees may be
pursued in the day, evening and summers. Graduate students attend
evening and weekend classes, which are scheduled year-round. Online
courses are also available.