Click to access the LWC Homepage!
print e-mail

Grading Scale and Quality Points

Students receive a letter grade in each course taken for credit. Each semester hour of credit for each letter grade carries the number of quality points indicated as follows:

Grade Quality Points
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.4
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.4
C 2.0
D 1.0
F 0.0

 Grade Point Average

A grade point average is determined by dividing the total number of quality points by the total number of credit hours attempted in graded courses. Credit/No Credit courses are not included in this calculation. Developmental mathematics courses (0900 series) are graded as pass/fail.

Credit/No Credit Courses

Credit/No Credit grades (CR or NC) are given in specified courses and result in earned credit hours if they are completed successfully. The courses do not result in GPA quality points, and they have no impact on a students grade point average, whether for the semester or cumulatively. For that purpose, they are not considered to be graded courses, though the CR and NC designations are listed on the transcript with all other grades.

CR/NC courses are noted as such in the course descriptions. A student may repeat a CR/NC course in which a grade of NC is received. CR/NC courses may be counted toward graduation as elective hours up to a maximum of 12 hours, but such courses may not count toward completion of major or General Education Requirements unless that is noted specifically in the course description.

Midterm Grade Reports

Mid-term grades are submitted electronically at mid-term of each semester according to the deadline issued by the Registrars Office. Mid-term grades are not a part of the students permanent record. Grades are mailed to students home addresses.

Semester End Grade Reports

All grades are reported to the Registrar at the end of each semester. Grades are mailed to students home addresses.

Incomplete Grades Grades of I

A grade of I (Incomplete) is given when circumstances beyond a students control prevent completion of course requirements. The student must complete the course work within six weeks or as mutually agreed upon with the instructor. Approval of the instructor, the Division Chair, and the Academic Affairs Office are required. If work is not completed within the specified length of time, the I grade will change to an F, unless special arrangements for extension have been made by the faculty member and approved by the Academic Affairs Office.

GPA Requirement

Lindsey Wilson reserves the right to suspend any student with a .0 to .5 term GPA.

Questioning a Grade -- The Student Academic Complaint Policy

A student who wishes to question a grade assignment, or other academic issue, should follow the procedure below:

  • Whenever possible, the student shall first go to the faculty member who has assigned the disputed grade. Complaints regarding grades must be lodged within 14 days of receipt of the disputed grade and will be decided by the faculty member within seven days of receipt.
  • The student may, within seven days, request in writing review of such decision by the Chair of the division in which the grade was assigned. Upon receipt of such request, that Chair will direct the faculty member and the student to each submit, within 10 days, a written account of the incident, providing specific information as to the nature of the dispute.
  • Upon receipt of these written accounts, the Chair will meet, within 14 days, with the faculty member and the student in an effort to resolve the dispute and will render his or her decision in writing.
  • If either the student or the faculty member desires to appeal the decision of the Chair of the division, the student or faculty member may, within seven days by written request to the Chair, request that the matter be reviewed by the Academic Affairs Office. After consultation with the Academic Affairs Council, the Academic Affairs Office will render a decision within 21 days of receipt of the referral from the Chair. 

If the disputed grade is assigned at the end of a fall or spring semester and the student and faculty member cannot meet to resolve the issue, the student must contact the faculty member by email within 14 days of receipt of the disputed grade.  If the issue cannot be resolved by email within the time limit, steps b, c, and d of the appeal may extend into the beginning of the semester immediately following receipt of the disputed grade by following the timeline above.

Students attending campuses in Virginia may contact the State Council of Higher Education of Virginia at 101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219, (804) 225-2600 as a last resort if their complaint has not been resolved to their satisfaction. Students will not be subject to unfair actions as a result of initiating a complaint proceeding.   

Feedback and CommentsSite MapDirections  
Every Student, Every Day
2008 Lindsey Wilson College
210 Lindsey Wilson St. Columbia, Ky 42728
Local: (270) 384-2126
Fax: (270) 384-8200
Toll Free: (800) 264-0138