January 26, 2016
Alumni Council Meeting Minutes
January 26, 2016
Kevin Thompson (ex officio member)
I. Welcome by Randy Burns and Opening Prayer given by
President Elect, Jerald Bryant.
II. Approval of Minutes from last meeting (Sept. 18,
2015) Motion to accept by Allysa Gooden, second by Lafawn Nettles
with all in favor.
III. Informational Items
- Blue Raider Travel Club Update
- Review of San Francisco Trip: Randy made note of how successful
the trip was. 27 alumni and friends attended.
- Possible Destinations for 2016: Randy met with President Luckey
and presented two potential destinations to the group. 1. A fall
trip to the Boston/New England area. 2. 75th annual
commemoration of Pearl Harbor in December 2016 along with the LWC
Singers. Randy hopes to have the destination nailed down within the
- Golden Alumni Society Update
- Class of '66 event - May 12-14: Randy noted the potential
success of this reunion. 12 alumni from the class are already
confirmed to attend.
- Area Alumni Events: Dates are not scheduled for the Louisville
Bats, and Bowling Green Hot Rods events yet. Randy noted that we
are open to suggestions for area events in Nashville and Lexington.
- Louisville Bats
- Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Review of Lindsey Wilson Friday Night Football Alumni Tailgate
event: Randy noted the success of this event. 25-30 people stopped
by the Alumni tent at the event in Tompkinsville last fall. Randy
mentioned that we will do an event like this at an Adair County and
Russell County game this year to have a visible presence in the
- Upcoming LWC Theatre Productions
- Lovers & Executioners (April 20-22 at 7 pm, April 24 at
- Oklahoma! (April 27-30 at 7 pm, May 1 at 2 pm)
- Alumni Support Update (702 alumni gifts as of 1/14/2016 is
-234YTD): Randy mentioned a few reasons our numbers could be down
such as the Phillip the Pig campaign with community campuses. Randy
noted that the fundraisers were reviewing their LYBNT (last year,
but not this) lists to make up gifts. Randy encouraged all alumni
council members who have not yet made a gift yet this fiscal year
to do so as soon as possible.
- LWC Founders Day - April 28: Speaker will be David Hawpe
- Homecoming 2015 - Sept. 23-24
- Alumni and Friends Walkway Scholarship Update
- Amount in the scholarship fund - $48,706.25 (as of 1/14/2016)
i. This is a $5,575.00 increase since
our last meeting and a $16,228.75 increase year to date!
- Advertisement process for scholarship for 2016-17 school year
will begin immediately. The first solicitation for applicants will
go out February 1st.
- Denise Fudge noted that $1,500 is available to give in
scholarships this year. The council agreed to give two $750
- Meet "Blue Raider Bob"blehead: The bobble heads will be sold
for $15 each, with $5 from each sold going towards the Walkway
Endowment. Randy will be speaking with Jeff Willis to check on
having them sold in the bookstore.
- Future Alumni Council Meetings
- April 28 at 3:00 pm in the Clark Reading Room of the Katie
Murrell Library. Founders' Day Banquet starts at 6 pm.
- Mid-summer meeting - June 23rd. Will confirm time
and location at April 28th meeting.
- Homecoming Annual Meeting - September 23
IV. Old Business
- Online Alumni Cookbook: Carrie gave an update on the cookbook
and mentioned additional design ideas to make the cookbook more
user friendly such as searching by key words and meal type. With
permission of the council, Carrie will continue working with
Emmanuel Isanda in our Information Services department to make the
- Visit www.lindsey.edu/alumni
- Click on "Alumni Cookbook" tab at the bottom of the
- Let's work together in the coming months to begin building the
- Walkway Campaign Update (presently tabled): Kevin Thompson
noted that we want to be close to reaching 60-70% of our goal
before making a public announcement of a capital campaign. The
Walkway Campaign will continue to wait on the capital campaign
V. New Business
- Review of Scholarship Recipient Selection Process and approval
of Alumni Walkway Scholarship Application Form and Essay Prompt.
- Updates will be made to each of the two forms.
- The council decided to offer 3 different writing prompts for
the essay portion this year. Those prompts are as follows:
i. What have you learned during your
time at Lindsey Wilson to inspire you to make a difference in your
communities and relationships?
ii. In a nation that seems to be in
the midst of political, racial, and socioeconomic divides, how can
we as individuals be a proponent for unity?
iii. How you do plan to live out the
mission of "every student, every day", as a current
student, and future alum of LWC?
- Schedule upcoming meetings:
- Mid-summer Alumni Council Meeting -- June 23, time and location
- Scholarship Committee Meeting - Tuesday April 5th -
10 am - Consists of Executive Cabinet and at large members,
Ken George and Gary Lane.
- Alumni Awards Nominating Committee Meeting - Tuesday May
17th - 10 am - Consists of Executive Cabinet and
at large members, Allysa Gooden and Drew Sadler.
VI. Adjournment motion made by Lafawn Nettles second by Carrie
Farris with all in favor.
"Blue Raiders for Life"