June 15, 2015
Alumni Council Meeting Minutes
June 15, 2015
Ken George (via phone)
Ben C. Burr
Prudence H. Westholm
- Welcome and Opening Prayer by President Ken
- Approval of Minutes from last meeting (April 23, 2015).
Motion to approve by Carrie Farris; seconded by Jerald
- Informational Items:
- Golden Alumni Society Reunion '65 Review: Five alumni attending
enjoyed their campus visit; and in a group setting provided by
Randy, each was able to share with their classmates what LWC has
meant to them.
- LWC Night -Bowling Green Hot Rods July
24 (Postcards mailed in BG area. Please
RSVP if you are planning to attend.)
- LWC Night -Louisville Bats - July 31
(Postcards mailed in Lville area. Please RSVP if you are
planning to attend.)
- Freshmen Move-In Day - August 15
- First Day of Class - August 19
- Blue Raider Travel Club - San Francisco - Sept. 21-26 (approx.
25 signed up).
- LWC Alumni & Friends Golf Scramble
August 22 @Lake Cumberland Golf Club, Jamestown,
KY.,(formerly Lilly Links). Volunteers are needed to work as
- Homecoming 2015 - Sept. 18-19.
Brochure will be out this summer.
- Alumni Giving 2015: Over 1200 alumni donors to date; (last year
was 1354 donors with a goal of 1400 donors.) Randy reminded
the council that "every gift makes a difference."
- Alumni & Friends Walkway Scholarship Fund
- Current amount of scholarship fund =$42,971.25 (increase of
$10,143.75 since the council's last mtg, April 23 '15.
- Walkway is 17 years old; several of the bricks are severely
worn so a significant number of Walkway bricks will be replaced
over the summer.
- Theatrefest 2015
- "Moonlight and Magnolias" (June 19,20,25,26,27,and 28) A
play about the writing of Gone With The Wind.
- "Dearly Departed" (July 10,11,16,17, and 18)
- Future Alumni Council Meeting - Motion made by Linda King;
seconded by Drew Sadler to hold the next alumni mtg on Sept 18 at
4PM CT; President's Reception @6PM.
- M. Campus Update: Kevin Thompson, Vice
President of Development.
- After 33 yrs @LWC, 18 yrs as president, Board of Trustees
have granted Pres. Luckey a sabbatical to refresh and
renew. Executive staff will continue in his absence until
Pres. Luckey returns in Jan. '16.
- Praise to alumni council for becoming a fully functional,
professional alumni program in last 7 to 9 years.
Alumni council agreed this is largely due to the excellent
leadership of Randy Burns, Director of Alumni Relations since
- Fundraising year ending June 30 '15, approx. $3.4 M gifts
made. Kevin stated the alumni council helps increase the
annual gifts donated (due to the life cycle of all LWC
- Three types of gifts to LWC: (1) Annual gifts; (2) Major gifts-
endowment of $10,000 or more; (3) Estate Planning gifts -ultimate
gift. Five year capital campaign in the planning stages:
new bldgs. built, etc.( $40M in projects).
- Old Business
- Online Alumni Cookbook, visit www.lindsey.edu, click on "Alumni
Cookbook" tab at the bottom of the page to help build the
collection of recipes.
- Carrie inquired about recipe searching capabilities.
Randy said he would check with the IT Dept.
- New Business
- Homecoming Award Ballot and Selection Process
- Randy brought before the council the question whether the
recipient of the Distinguished Service Award is required to be a
- Much discussion followed. Carrie Farris made the motion that
the Distinguished Service Award nominee not be required to be an
alumna of LWC. Motion seconded by Ken Jessee. Motion carried.
- Voting completed.
- 1.Outstanding Young Alumnus/Alumnae - Christopher Lee
- 2. Distinguished Alumnus -Michael Kearns
- 3. Honorary Alumnus -Dr. Robert Reynolds and Mrs. Judith
- 4. Distinguished Service Award - Mrs. JoAnn Panko.
- Adjournment -Motion made by Carrie Farris; seconded by Ken
George to adjourn.