Alumni, Students & Staff Offer Advice to Freshmen Living on Campus
Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2013 [1:22 PM]
COLUMBIA, Ky. -- If experience is the most valuable thing
someone has to offer, then the more than 460 freshmen preparing to
move Saturday in to Lindsey Wilson College residence halls might
want to heed the words more than 30 current LWC students, staff
members and alumni.
The students, staff members and alumni replied to the
recent post on Twitter on Facebook: "Question for LWC alumni &
current students: what items should no LWC freshman leave home
Responses included: the practical (change for the campus
laundry machines); the unusual (a couch to haul to Walter S.
Reuling Stadium for one of the soccer teams' couch nights); and the
spiritual (hugs from a family member).
On Twitter, @grilledcheese4u posted: "Mini
fridge and A LOT of quarters. #OpeningWeekLWC"
Former LWC Sports Information intern @NelsonPouliot added on
Twitter: "Don't forget to bring a couch for the annual #CouchNight
Patience and the right tools are also important,
according to @Lilred_85: "Bring a hammer
and screwdriver, scissors, keep track of your ID, and patience is
But don't overlook comfort items and talismans from home,
posted @thatgrl_LO: "No freshman
should leave without their favorite stuffed animal."
Here's a sample of some of the advice posted on the LWC Facebook page:
* Tammy Wright: A scale to keep up with
that freshman fifteen from all the good food at the dining
* John Brown: Device with a reliable alarm.
* Allen Prigge: A hearty appetite for
biscuits and gravy
* Cherise Mingus: Clorox cleaning wipes.
Those suckers are life-savers for cleaning in a hurry!
* Dustin Harris: Ping pong paddle.
* Allen Prigge: Tennis racket.
* Jared Radford: All you need are
clothes and bed stuff. Anything else is just extra.
* Lindsay Sharp: Notecards and plenty of
* Sarah Smith: An egg crate or memory
foam mattress pad.
* Alison Hayes: Something to cover the
mattress, like a mattress pad! Your back will thank you!
* Tiffany Calender: Day planner
* Haley Burton: An umbrella and rain
boots for the ladies!
* Charlie Gibson: Flip flops.
* Mandy Cote McElwee: Hugs from their
* Roger Todd DeWilde: Bible underwear,
and a quarter.
* Matt Bridges: A bike and an open
Officially, LWC residence halls open at 9 a.m. CT
Saturday, Aug. 17. The fall semester begins Aug. 19, and Aug. 21 is
the first day of classes for undergraduate students on the A.P.
Click here for FAQs about LWC residence life --
including what is allowed in residence halls.
Click here for more information about Opening
Click here to go to the LWC Facebook page.
(And "like" it while you're there.)
here to go to the LWC Twitter page. (And "follow" it while
you're there. If you tweet a suggestion, use #OpeningWeekLWC.)