Minor - Program Requirements
Trudy Dawkins Morlino, Ph.D., Program Coordinator
(270) 384-8030 firstname.lastname@example.org
The mission of the business program is to prepare students for advancing employment in accounting, general management, entrepreneurial management, human resources management, and marketing; for the pursuit of career paths of increasing professional and managerial responsibility; for application and admission to graduate programs in business, accounting, or other professional schools; and for preparation to sit for examinations for professional certificates. Consistent with Lindsey Wilson College’s mission as a liberal arts, teaching-centered institution and in accordance with the guidelines of its accrediting body – the International accreditation Council for Business Education – the business program is committed to students’ growth and development through values-centered classroom instructions, cooperative learning experiences, and the awakening of an appreciation for lifelong learning.
Some courses taken for the minor may simultaneously fulfill general education requirements. Please see the Graduation Requirements (bachelor’s degrees) section of this catalog for information on the general education program.
Students should note that the minor contributes up to 12 hours toward the required 39 hours of 3000-4000 level coursework.
Program Requirements: 21-30 hours
Along with the general education program and a major, students must complete the minor’s prerequisite and core requirements and must select program electives as indicated.
A. Prerequisites: 0-9 hours
- Writing Studies II (ENGL 1023) is a prerequisite for elective BUSI 2303 – 3 hours
- Statistics for Business & Economics (ECON 2203) is a prerequisite for elective BUSI 4763 – 3 hours
B. Core Requirements: 12-15 hours
- College Algebra (MATH 1013) or a minimum ACT mathematics subscore of 26 or equivalent is a prerequisite for ACCT 2113 and ECON 2023 – 3 hours
- Financial Accounting (ACCT 2113) – 3 hours
- Managerial Accounting (ACCT 2123) – 3 hours
- Introduction to Management (BUSI 2903) – 3 hours
- Survey of Economic Issues (ECON 2023) – 3 hours
C. Program Electives (select from the following): 9 hours
- Cost Accounting (ACCT 3303) – 3 hours
- Business Communication (BUSI 2303) – 3 hours
- Business Law (BUSI 2713) – 3 hours
- Small Business Management (BUSI 2933) – 3 hours
- Business Computer Applications (BUSI 3503) – 3 hours
- Principles of Finance (BUSI 3533) – 3 hours
- Principles of Marketing (BUSI 3933) – 3 hours
- Personnel Management (BUSI 3953) – 3 hours
- Operations Management (BUSI 4763) – 3 hours
Students who earn a business minor will:
- Be required to complete case studies in BUSI 2903 to assess their ability to identify, formulate, and solve business problems;
- Demonstrate their ability to analyze the impact of business solutions in a global, economic, environmental, ethical, and societal context in BUSI 2713 and BUSI 3933; and
- Be required to complete a set of formal financial statements in ACCT 2113 and a case study in BUSI 2903 to demonstrate knowledge of the fundamental areas of mathematics and business.