English - Special Opportunities
The English program offers students the opportunity to showcase and refine their creative and academic writing skills through two student-edited publications. Orpheus is the annual literary journal. Dr. Allison Smith is the faculty adviser. Alpha Kappa Review is an undergraduate research journal in the humanities. Dr. Karolyn Steffens is the faculty adviser.
English Honor Society
The Alpha Kappa Phi Chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, an international English honor society, was chartered in the summer of 2002. The central purpose of the honor society is to confer distinction upon students of the English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate and professional studies. One of the largest members of the Association of the College Honors Societies, Sigma Tau Delta provides exceptional students with opportunities for advancing the study of language and literature, for developing skills in creative and analytical writing, and for meeting other scholars and professionals in the discipline of English.
The faculty sponsor is Dr. Karolyn Steffens.
This mentorship program pairs select upperclassmen with faculty members for the purpose of introducing students to the teaching of English at the college level. While specific criteria may vary by instructor, the general shape of the program is as follows:
- Students submit a completed application to be evaluated by the entire English faculty
- Each selected applicant is assigned to a specific instructor’s course at or below the 2000-level (ESL, Writing, Literature, and Grammar courses from ENGL 0854 through ENGL 2703 are eligible)
- The preceptor observes course meetings (no more than three times)
- The preceptor devises a lesson plan in consultation with the professor
- The preceptor teaches part or all of one day’s class and gains feedback from the instructor (students are also encouraged to invite other faculty members to observe this teaching demonstration)
The Faculty Colloquium
During the fall semester, members of the English faculty read from and discuss their scholarly papers or creative writing projects.
Women’s Studies Conference
English majors are frequent participants in the Women’s Studies Conference. This interdisciplinary conference takes place every spring and is sponsored by the Women’s Studies Program. For further information, please contact Dr. Kara Mollis or Dr. Allison Smith.