The John B. Begley Scholarship Program was created in 1997 to honor John B. Begley, who served as the sixth president of Lindsey Wilson from 1977 to 1997.
The Begley Scholarship is a full-tuition, room & board scholarship awarded to three incoming freshman students each year. Beyond financial reward, the Begley Scholarship Program seeks to provide students with an unparalleled cultural enrichment experience.
During their academic tenure, Begley Scholars will embark on enrichment trips to Hemmingway's four "Great American Cities" - Chicago, New York, New Orleans, and San Francisco. When not traveling, Begley Scholars will partake in cultural learning opportunities alongside Lindsey Wilson College President, William T. Luckey, and his wife, Elise. Both President Luckey and Elise serve as directors of the Begley Scholarship Program.Past Activities have included:
- Meeting with well-known Kentucky authors, regional business, civic and political leaders.
- Attendance at regional events at the Kentucky Center for the Arts, Actors Theatre of Louisville and the J.B. Speed Art Museum.
- Regular meetings and discussions held in the home of President Luckey and Elise Luckey.
An ACT composite score of 24 or above identifies a student who qualifies to compete for the Begley Scholarship. Interviews for the Class of 2022 will be held on January 22, 2022.
The following items must be submitted to the Admissions Office no later than Janurary 18, 2022:
- A typewritten essay (one to two pages in length) on a topic chosen by the scholarship committee;
- Three letters of reference (at least one from high school instructor); and
- Submitted Application for Admission to Lindsey Wilson College, a current high school transcript, and ACT/SAT scores.
- Participation in Interview
The Scholars Day 2022 essay question:
"You have been given the privilege of selecting the face of the next US postage stamp. Who are you choosing and why?"
For more information regarding Begley Scholars Day, feel free to contact the Admissions Office at (800) 264-0138 or via email email@example.com.