The John B. Begley Scholarship Program was created in 1997 to honor John B. Begley, who served as the sixth president of Lindsey Wilson from 1977 to 1997.
Begley Scholars receive full-tuition, room and board scholarships at Lindsey Wilson College. Begley Scholars participate in at least two co-curricular activities simultaneously, providing leadership in at least one of these activities. Scholars also fulfill a service component and are expected to distinguish themselves as men and women of high moral character by living according to high personal standards and exercising good judgment daily.
In addition to regular meetings with the president of Lindsey Wilson College, Begley Scholars participate in several extracurricular and enrichment activities. Past activities have included:
- An annual cultural excursion to one of Ernest Hemingway's "Great American Cities" Chicago, New Orleans, New York or San Francisco.
- Meetings with well-known Kentucky authors Bobbie Ann Mason and Wendell Berry; and regional business and civic leaders.
- Attendance at regional events at the Kentucky Center for the Arts, Actors Theatre of Louisville and the J.B. Speed Art Museum.
An ACT composite score of 24 or above identifies a student who qualifies to compete for the Begley Scholarship. The competition for the Class of 2018 will be held Feb. 3, 2018.
The following items must be submitted to the Admissions Office no later than Jan. 26, 2018:
- An application for admission
- An official high school transcript
- A copy of ACT scores
- Three letters of recommendation (including at least one from a high school teacher)
- A one to two page typed essay
The Scholars Day 2018 essay question:
What is your view on professional athletes kneeling for the national anthem?
Explain your answer.
For more information regarding Begley Scholars Day, feel free to contact the Admissions Office at (800) 264-0138 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org