At Lindsey Wilson College, we feel that it is critical that
students make informed choices regarding graduate program
selection. Here are some questions we encourage you to consider
when evaluating a doctoral program in Counselor Education &
Questions to Ask
Educational Institutions When Exploring Potential Doctoral
- Is your program CACREP accredited? CACREP programs can be
verified at http://www.cacrep.org/directory/directory.cfm
- Do you have a document that identifies the doctoral classes,
and how they fit with the CACREP standards?
- Is your master's program currently CACREP accredited?
- Is the degree a Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision?
If not, what degree(s) do you offer?
- Who will be teaching in the doctoral program? What are their
- What is the average class size?
- What is the format of the classes (face-to-face, online,
- What kinds of students are most successful in your
- What is the cost per credit hour?
- What are alumni doing with this degree? What are they
doing with other degrees from this institution?
- Are there any pending sanctions against the institution? Have
any of the institutions' programs lost accreditation in the last 5
years (SACS, CACREP, NCATE)?
Questions to Ask Future
Employers When Exploring Potential Doctoral Programs
- Would you hire a graduate from this program?
- In your opinion, what is the reputation of this institution?
- Are there additional experiences that would make me more
marketable for this job and/or company?
- Do your accrediting bodies have requirements concerning this
job of which I should be aware?
We wish you the very best of luck as you investigate your
potential professional paths. We look forward to talking with you