Minor - Program Requirements
Kara Mollis, PhD, Program Coordinator
W.W. Slider Humanities Center, Room 302
(270) 384-8233 email@example.com
The Women’s Studies program at Lindsey Wilson College is an interdisciplinary program that understands and emphasizes the vital connection between education, personal empowerment, and social transformation. Our curriculum engages students in a variety of learning experiences, including service-learning, that prepares them to place women’s experiences at the center of critical inquiry, to understand gender as a cultural phenomenon that involves power, privilege, and intersectionality, and to use a feminist lens of analysis in a variety of contexts. In so doing, the Women’s Studies program at Lindsey Wilson College fosters personal growth, professional success in a diverse global environment, and engaged citizenship.
Some courses taken for the minor may simultaneously fulfill general education requirements. Please see the Graduation Requirements (bachelor’s degrees) section of this catalog for information on the general education program.
Students should note that the minor contributes between six and 12 hours toward the required 39 hours of 3000-4000 level coursework.
Program Requirements: 27-30 hours
Along with the general education program and a major, students must complete the minor’s prerequisites and core requirements and must select program electives as indicated.
A. Prerequisites: 6-9 hours
- Writing Studies I (ENGL 1013) is a prerequisite for ENGL 2103 and ENGL 2203 unless waiver requirements are met – 3 hours
- Writing Studies II (ENGL 1023) is a prerequisite for WS 3203, WS 3213, and WS 4903 – 3 hours
- Literary Interpretation (ENGL 2103) or World Literature (ENGL 2203) is a prerequisite for elective choice ENGL 3163 – 3 hours
B. Core Requirements: 15 hours
- Introduction to Women’s Studies (WS 1003) – 3 hours
- Women in Global Perspective (WS 1013) – 3 hours
- Gender & Popular Culture (WS 2203) or Gender & Politics (WS 2213) – 3 hours
- Feminist Theory & Practice (WS 3203) or Women, Violence & Feminist Activism (WS 3213) – 3 hours
- Women’s Studies Seminar (WS 4903) – 3 hours
C. Program Electives (select from the following): 6 hours
- Gender & Communication (COMM 3713) – 3 hours
- Women Writers (ENGL 3163) – 3 hours
- Women in the American Experience (HIST 3143) – 3 hours
- Women in World History (HIST 3633) – 3 hours
- Marriage & Family (HS 2203) – 3 hours
- Gender Studies (HS 4013) – 3 hours
- Women in Religion (RELI 3273) – 3 hours
- Gender & Popular Culture (WS 2203) if not taken for the Core – 3 hours
- Gender & Politics (WS 2213) if not taken for the Core – 3 hours
- Feminist Theory & Practice (WS 3203) if not taken for the Core – 3 hours
- Women, Violence & Feminist Activism (WS 3213) if not taken for the Core – 3 hours
- Special Topics (WS 3803) – 3 hours
A required service-learning activity and a research project completed in WS 4903 will assess mastery of the program’s Student Learning Outcomes.