AA - Program Requirements
Curtis Lee, Ph.D., Dean, School of Professional Studies
Sumner Campus Ministry Center
(270) 384-7322 firstname.lastname@example.org
Allen Copenhaver, Ph.D., Program Coordinator
Durham Center, Room 103
(270) 384-8231 email@example.com
Full-time program faculty: Allen Copenhaver, Ph.D.; Angie Schwendau, Ph.D.; Dennis Souther, M.P.A.
The criminal justice program is designed to prepare graduates for careers in the three main substantive areas of criminal justice: policing, courts, and corrections.
Some courses taken for the major may simultaneously fulfill general education requirements. Please see the Graduation Requirements (associate degrees) section of this catalog for information on the general education program.
The following conditions apply for acceptance into the program:
- Minimum grade point average of 2.00;
- Completion of Introduction to Criminal Justice (CRJS 1003) with a minimum grade of C;
- Filing the required application for admission form to the program with the program coordinator;
- Securing the approval by the program coordinator;
- Assignment of an academic advisor from the program; and
- Filing the approved application to the program form with the Registrar’s Office.
Program Requirements: 36-39 hours
Along with the general education program, students must complete the major’s prerequisites and core requirements and select program electives as indicated.
A. Prerequisites and Recommended Courses: 3-6 hours
- Writing Studies I (ENGL 1013) is recommended prior to CRJS 1003 unless waiver requirements are met – 3 hours
- Writing Studies II (ENGL 1023) is a prerequisite for CRJS 2103 – 3 hours
B. Core Requirements: 21 hours
- Introduction to Criminal Justice (CRJS 1003) is the prerequisite for all CRJS courses except CRJS 1013 – 3 hours
- Writing in Criminal Justice (CRJS 1013) is the prerequisite for CRJS 2103, CRJS 3023, and CRJS 3203 – 3 hours
- Criminology (CRJS 2103) – 3 hours
- Criminal Courts (CRJS 2303) – 3 hours
- Police & Society (CRJS 3123) – 3 hours
- Corrections (CRJS 3203) – 3 hours
- Ethics (PHIL 3003) – 3 hours
C. Program Electives (select from the following): 12 hours
- American Legal Systems (CRJS 3003) – 3 hours
- Police Investigation (CRJS 3023) – 3 hours
- U.S. Constitutional Law (CRJS 3213) – 3 hours
- Rural Crime (CRJS 3573) – 3 hours
- Criminal Law (CRJS 3703) – 3 hours
- Criminal Procedure (CRJS 3903) – 3 hours
- Green Criminology (CRJS 4113) – 3 hours
- Homeland Security (CRJS 4173) – 3 hours
- Evidence (CRJS 4273) – 3 hours