Minor - Program Requirements
David Goguen, M.F.A., Program Coordinator
W.W. Slider Humanities Center, Room 308
(270) 384-8241 firstname.lastname@example.org
The mission of the journalism program is to provide students with the knowledge and skills to critically evaluate, create, and distribute information for mass audiences, and to develop as effective and responsible communicators who contribute in productive and positive ways to society.
Some courses taken for the minor may simultaneously fulfill general education requirements. Please see the Graduation Requirements (bachelor’s degrees) section of this catalog for information on the general education program.
Students should note that the minor contributes 12 hours toward the required 39 hours of 3000-4000 level coursework.
Program Requirements: 21-24 hours
Along with the general education program and a major, students must complete the minor’s prerequisite, its core requirements, and the experiential component as indicated.
A. Prerequisites: 0-3 hours
- Writing Studies I (ENGL 1013) is a prerequisite for JRNL 2403 unless waiver requirements are met – 3 hours
B. Core Requirements: 18 hours
- Mass Media & Society (COMM/JRNL 1503) – 3 hours
- Media Writing & Reporting (JRNL 2403) – 3 hours
- Community Reporting (JRNL 3103) – 3 hours
- Magazine & Feature Writing (JRNL 3213) – 3 hours
- Communication Law & Ethics (COMM/JRNL 4403) – 3 hours
- Editing & Media Management (JRNL 3203) or Interactive Media Design (JRNL 3413) or Broadcast Journalism (JRNL 4123) – 3 hours
C. Experiential Component: 3 hours
For the experiential component of the minor, students may choose either practicum or internship credit. Practicum may be repeated up to three hours to satisfy capstone requirements for the journalism minor, or the student may select the three-credit JRNL PN03 Journalism Internship.
- Practicum: Student Media Productions (JRNL XNF1 and/or JRNL XNS1) – 1-3 hours
- Journalism Internship (JRNL PN03) – 3 hours
Completion of the journalism minor requires a minimum grade of C in all general education requirements in English and a minimum grade of C in all courses required for the minor.