Minor - Program Requirements
Robert Brock, M.F.A., Program Coordinator
Goodhue Academic Center, Room 303
(270) 384-7382 firstname.lastname@example.org
The mission of the theatre program is to provide a nurturing and challenging artistic environment that celebrates our history and anticipates our future and to enhance the cultural and aesthetic experience of our campus and community through quality productions and educational outreach.
The theatre program will provide:
- Basic knowledge of the main components of the theater arts, and
- Appreciation of the historical and present impact of theater on human civilization.
Students seeking a theatre minor will:
- Analyze and create solutions to specific challenges of the theater production process;
- Critically analyze dramatic works;
- Apply the knowledge and skills gained in the classroom directly to rehearsal and performance; and
- Understand theater as a vitally important force for communication and understanding in an increasingly multi-cultural world.
Some courses taken for the minor may simultaneously fulfill general education requirements. Please see the Graduation Requirements (bachelor’s degrees) section of this catalog for information on the general education program.
Students should note that the minor contributes up to nine hours toward the required 39 hours of 3000-4000 level coursework.
Program Requirements: 20 hours
Along with the general education program and a major, students must complete the minor’s core requirements and must select program electives as indicated.
A. Core Requirements: 11 hours
- Introduction to Theatre Arts (THEA 1313) – 3 hours
- Fundamentals of Acting (THEA 1323) – 3 hours
- Directing I (THEA 2433) – 3 hours
- Practicum (THEA 1341) – 2 hours*
*The one-hour Practicum is taken twice to achieve the necessary 11 hours.
B. Program Electives (select from the following): 9 hours
- Technical Theatre (THEA 1413) – 3 hours
- Acting II (THEA 2323) – 3 hours
- Children’s Theatre (THEA 2413) – 3 hours
- Theatre Design (THEA 2423) – 3 hours
- Voice & Movement (THEA 2513) – 3 hours
- Advanced Topics in Theatre Production (THEA 3081) – 1 hour
- Acting III (THEA 3323) – 3 hours
- Playwriting (THEA 3333) – 3 hours
- Dramatic Literature Survey (THEA 3423) – 3 hours
- Directing II (THEA 3433) – 3 hours
- Advanced Design for Theatre (THEA 3453) – 3 hours
- A Cry of Players (THEA 3613) – 3 hours
- Theatre History (THEA 3623) – 3 hours
Students applying for graduation with a minor in theatre must schedule an exit interview with the theatre program coordinator. Prior to the exit interview, each student will prepare a two-minute monologue from a play. Students must be prepared to answer questions about the monologue; these questions may be obtained from the program coordinator.